Over 50 years of combined legal experience



Should I call the police if I am involved in a collision?


If you think you are injured, contact the police.

Regardless of injury, if the driver who caused the collision denies responsibility, call the police.


Should I take pictures of the collision damage?


Photos can be helpful, but are not a top priority. If you are injured, do not move around taking photos. In most cases, the insurance company will have their property damage evaluator take photos of your damaged vehicle at a later date.

We handle negligence cases of all types, including:


Who pays for the repairs to my vehicle?


If you caused the collision, contact your own insurance company regarding repair cost reimbursement.


If you did not cause the collision, you can pursue a claim through either your auto insurance company or the negligent driver’s insurance company. It’s helpful to get quotes from both insurance companies. Keep in mind that if you go through your own insurance, you may have to pay your deductible.


When you make a claim, the insurance company will have their expert examine the car and provide a damage estimate. If you have a mechanic that you trust, take your car to that person and get your own estimate.


If I am injured, who pays my medical expenses?


If you have personal injury protection coverage (PIP), then your insurance company will pay for your medical bills and treatment up to the amount of your coverage. PIP will pay your medical expenses regardless of fault. PIP may also cover wage loss and other expenses incurred as a result of injuries, such as yard and house help.


What if the driver who caused the collision has no insurance?


Although it is illegal to drive without insurance coverage, many drivers are either uninsured or don’t have enough coverage. Washington State law mandates drivers to carry minimum coverage of $25,000 per person/$50,000 per collision.  Unfortunately, with today’s rising healthcare costs, it is easy for an injury claim to exceed $25,000. Because of this, you may want to consider adding underinsured / uninsured motorist coverage to your insurance policy. Talk to your insurance agent to find out more about this coverage.


Do I need an attorney to make a claim?


No, but it often makes financial sense to hire an attorney, particularly for larger, more complicated claims. Personal injury attorneys take cases on a contingency fee basis, which means the attorney only gets paid if there is a damages award by settlement or verdict. The fee is a percentage of the damages award. On smaller, straightforward cases it makes financial sense to try and resolve the claim on your own.


If I hire an attorney for my injury claim, will my attorney handle my property damage claim?


We handle the property damage claim as a courtesy, and only take our fee from the injury award.


If you have any questions about the injury claim process, please feel free to contact Dixon & Cannon, Ltd. Our many years of practice, first as senior trial attorneys for a national insurance company and then as plaintiff attorneys, means we know the injury claim process inside out.

Dixon & Cannon, Ltd. is licensed to practice law in the States of Arizona and Washington. This Web site is created for your general information only and does not represent legal advice. An attorney-client relationship between you and our law firm is not created by you reading this information or calling us. If we decide to work together, we sign a contract to establish our attorney-client relationship.

Personal Injury


Dixon & Cannon, Ltd

Downtown Seattle Office

Dixon & Cannon, Ltd.

601 Union Street, Suite 3230

Seattle WA 98101